Monday, October 10, 2005

collections

i'm having a cup of tea in one of my many mugs. i was thinking about all the "collections" i have. geez, i collect a lot of junk. no wonder i have no room for anything in my 4 room apartment.

  • mugs. i am drinking out of a mug from the American Museum of Natural History. i usually pay no more than 50 cents for a mug and i have gotten most of them from Aunt Sally's. my favorite mug is black with funky penguins on it that my son found at a yard sale for 10 CENTS!
  • stickers, papers, scissors and general mail art stuff
  • punk music, of course
  • penguins, double of course. my mother-in-law just sent a penguin statue and some ornaments from Kansas City. the statue features a mom or dad and baby. one of the baby's flippers broke off! the largest penguin i have is about 2 feet tall, plastic, from Newbury Comics. his name is CP which stands for Corporation Penguin. my son named him from a Beatles song.
  • candles...especially Yankee Candles. i love the Witches Brew halloween scent and color (black).
  • pumpkin tealight holders. i have them displayed on my Halloween Bedroom windowsill and when they are all lit up, it's quite beautiful. i have 12 of them.
  • Halloween items, natch!
  • pillowcases...Disney, Spongebob, etc
  • silver jewelry, white gold and platinum. my sister and our prairie dog would shop QVC for me and they both had great taste in jewelry. i especially like gemstone rings and earrings. i have a couple of charm bracelets. i do LOVE charms. my favorite charms are a prairie dog and jack-o-lantern with a hinged lid which was the first charm i was given. my son bought it for me many years ago.
  • books. UFO books. books to alter. vampire novels. i don't buy many books because i work in a library and read my favorite fiction authors stuff out of borrowed books. i buy non-fiction from the library account, or www.unknowncountry.com, Barnes and Noble or Amazon. there is a second hand store that i frequent called Second Hand Looks. i no longer will shop at Borders because they totally fucked up the Harry Potter release!
  • Fortean Times Magazines www.forteantimes.com
  • Fukagawa Porcelain...the grape leaf pattern
  • postcards. i send them to my husand. try www.postcrossing.com for fun!
  • journals and blank books. can never seem to entirely fill one before i move on to another.
  • lollipops. this is a fairly recent obsession. i have all kinds of them. my favorites are: skeletal hands with a red pop, lollipops with realistic candy spiders in them, light up star shaped pops and Chupa Chups yogurt flavored pops. i bought some marijuana flavored pops at Newbury Comics and they are gross. blech! i don't know WHAT i was thinking!
  • childrens board books. i have a project in mind for them...something like the www.1000journals.com project. or i'll use them as journals or send them out for a mail art project.
  • japanese bands, preferably punk bands.

well, that's about it. i'm sure i left something out. i really need to curb my collections. they are getting out of hand!

No comments: