Wednesday, December 07, 2005

prison visitors

i'll admit it...i like making fun of people. i like wondering what their lives must be like. i like it when someone i truly dislike has a bizarre sob story. something along the lines of 'i lost my tennis balls in the van and had to crawl around and look for them and my no-good grandaughter was too lazy to help me find them!'
that is an actual line from one of the visitors that comes to see an inmate at the prison. Maniac Mike and i have dubbed her The Tennis Ball Lady because she had tennis balls stuck to the legs of her walker. when i first met her, i had no idea why she needed a walker as she walked much faster and steadier than i did. turns out she falls a lot from diabetes or something. she has fallen out of bed on many occasions and she just loves to regale us with her "i'm so sick, poor me" stories. whenever she gets even the slightest boo-boo, all her doctors confer and agree that she's a remarkable specimen and they can't figure out why she is still alive. "i should be dead" is her rallying cry. a few months ago she graduated from walker to cane to nothing and now she has a cane again. she does seem shakier than ever.
this lady has been trying to get me into a conversation for the 2 years i've been visiting Mike. whenever she does manage to catch me next to her and without a book, she tries to talk to me. TO ME. not with me. her conversation is all about HER and HER problems and medical maladies and her fucked up sons who want nothing to do with her and how she thinks having to come to every visit is too much and she doesn't like to drive at night...blah, blah blah, blah, blah. i hate her.
she reminds me of the old witch in Hansel and Gretel...the one who ate the children. yuck.

No comments: