Wednesday, December 28, 2005

no card, no ID, bad back

i just love to hate the patrons who come to the library with no card and no ID of any kind and expect to leave with our items. there are dozens upon dozens of people, apparently, who think it is okay to drive without having their license on them.
a lady came in with her 10ish year old son. she wanted to check out DVD's (naturally) but, as she told me before i could even open my mouth, that she had no card and no ID, just her car registration. "i've used this before", she said. okay. no problem.
she: "my back is out and it hurts and i can't make it up and down my steps because i live on the 3rd floor, so i didn't bring my card."
me(sigh): "okay."
i pass the registration and DVD's (after stamping them) to my circhead, who did not hear the spiel.
circhead(nicely because she is nice): "may i have your library card?"
she (rolls eyes, huffs and puffs): "i just told everyone else (that would be me?) that i have a bad back and it is really hurting me and i can't climb the steps and i forgot my card so i couldn't go back and i don't know why this is such a problem anyway and you have my registration."
circhead: "okay!"
she finishes checking her out and later says to me, "i don't know why everything has to be a big crisis. besides, she could've had her son get the library card!" see, i would've never thought of that. i guess that's why she gets the big bucks.

No comments: